Evidence-based Prevention Training for Professionals, Parents and Youth
Prevention Plus Wellness (PPW) provides practical, single-session training for busy professionals, parents and youth.
PPW training is designed to increase knowledge, confidence and skills to implement, as well as to train others to implement, evidence-based prevention in communities, homes, schools and other settings where youth and young adults are found.
We offer flexible, live online and onsite training. These include 3-4 hour workshops to become Certified Program Implementer’s and Youth Leader’s, 5-6 hour workshops to become Certified Parent Leaders, and 6-7 hour workshops to become Certified Program Trainer’s and Youth Leadership Trainers.
Training options for professionals, parents and youth in the use of evidence-based and evidence-informed prevention programs and tools is described below.
Professional and Lay Staff Training
Online and onsite training for professionals, lay staff and volunteers in youth services organizations and communities include workshops to become Certified Program Implementer’s and Program Trainer’s: http://preventionpluswellness.com/training/.
These workshops are provided for each evidence-based and evidence-informed PPW program, including:
1. SPORT Prevention Plus Wellness (in older adolescent, young adolescent, and children versions),
2. SPORT 2 Prevention Plus Wellness (in older adolescent and young adolescent versions),
3. InShape Prevention Plus Wellness (for young adults),
4. In God’s Image (for faith-based settings),
5. SPORT Recovery (for youth in treatment and recovery settings), and
6. Prevention Plus Wellness Adult Recovery (for treatment and recovery settings).
Certified Program Implementer’s Workshops come with a two-year certificate and contain:
- Overview: Introduction to the PPW program manual components.
- Knowledge Instruction: Pre-workshop video or PowerPoint program highlighting the key knowledge components of the PPW program.
- Experiential Instruction: Experience the PPW program as a youth or young adult participant.
- Skill & Self-Efficacy Instruction: Practice providing the PPW program using one-on-one and group scripts.
- Evaluation & Post-Training Instruction: Discuss post-training strategies for demonstrating and sustaining program implementation quality, and tailoring implementation to attendee’s specific settings and populations.
Certified Program Trainer’s Workshops includes the above, along with program and training materials and training in:
- Introducing the PPW program manual components.
- Core knowledge of the PPW program.
- Implementing the PPW program to participants.
- Steps for participants’ practicing of both one-on-one and group program scripts with feedback.
- Strategies for evaluation and post-training.
Online and onsite training for individuals who wish to become Certified Parent Leader’s is designed to provide participants with the knowledge, confidence and skills to lead Prevention Plus Wellness Parent Training in their region: http://preventionpluswellness.com/ppw-parent-leader-training/.
Certified Parent Leader’s training comes with a two-year certificate and addresses the following topics:
- Need for practical evidence-based parent tools to promote Prevention Plus Wellness lifestyles among youth.
- Underlying health behavior theory and research.
- Key components of PPW parent tools.
- How PPW parent tools can be implemented by parents at home.
Prevention Plus Wellness parent tools provided with parent workshops include:
1. Parent Pep Talk Lessons (Set of seven lessons),
2. Parent Flyers (Set of flyers for older adolescents, young adolescents and children, in both English and Spanish),
3. Teen Contracts (Set of five contracts), and
4. Parent-Youth Wellness Resources.
Online and onsite training for youth and young adults includes workshops in Certified Youth Leadership, and becoming a Certified Youth Leadership Trainer: http://preventionpluswellness.com/ppw-youth-leadership-training/.
These training workshops come with two-year certification and are designed to help young people grow into their best possible selves by doing, leading and serving, not just by passively receiving. This type of training empowers youth and young adults by giving them tiered professional prevention and health skills and responsibilities, ranging from program assistants to program implementers and eventually trainers.
The goal of Certified Youth Leadership Training in Prevention Plus Wellness is for youth to gain leadership and service skills as personal coaches and/or classroom teachers implementing evidence-based programs to their peers. The objectives of leadership training in PPW include:
- List reasons for choosing integrated Prevention Plus Wellness (PPW) programs over typical prevention or health programs.
- Describe key aspects of using PPW programs.
- Explain how positive images are used to influence health behaviors, based on the Behavior-Image Model (BIM).
- Assess their current substance use and wellness habits.
- Compare their current health habits to positive peer and future self-images and behaviors.
- Set goals to avoid substance use habits and improve wellness habits.
- Demonstrate how to implement the PPW program by one-on-one coaching and/or group instruction.
- Plan post-training strategies for demonstrating and sustaining program implementation skills over time.
Youth and young adults trained in Prevention Plus Wellness (PPW) program implementation develop a wide range of leadership skills and knowledge. Whether it is SPORT Prevention Plus Wellness, SPORT 2, SPORT Recovery, InShape Prevention Plus Wellness, or In God’s Image, youth trained to implement these innovative brief positive image and behavior programs develop both personal and leadership skills necessary to lead and serve others.
Young people interested in “making their mark” or “making a difference” are ideal candidates for PPW leadership training, but so are any youth or young adult who wants to gain self-confidence, learn to set and obtain personal and professional goals, become a positive role model, and experience first-hand providing meaningful service for others. Leadership development training is not just for some youth, but for every young person interested in reaching their full potential.
Prevention Plus Wellness Certified Youth Leadership Training, along with opportunities to implement PPW programs to peers, is designed to develop the following personal and professional leadership skill and knowledge areas:
- Personal coaching
- Goal setting and goal monitoring
- Positive self-image
- Time management
- Project management
- Interpersonal relationships
- Team building
- Problem solving
- Substance use prevention
- Wellness promotion
Whether you are a busy professional, parent or youth, Prevention Plus Wellness provides practical, single-session training in the use of evidence-based and evidence-informed prevention programs and tools. Our flexible live online and onsite training workshops were created to increase the effectiveness of our products for preventing alcohol, tobacco, marijuana and other drug use while increasing healthy behaviors and positive self-identities among youth and young adults throughout the US and world. Learn more about evidence-based Prevention Plus Wellness training and programs today: http://preventionpluswellness.com