With Legalization, Parents Report Needing Tools to Prevent Youth Marijuana Use
Research recently published in the Journal of Adolescent Health examined parents’ reactions to marijuana legalization and changes in attitudes and behaviors over time. Data were from a gender-balanced, ethnically diverse sample of 395 parents in Washington State.
The author’s concluded that despite increased acceptance and frequency of adult use, parents remain widely opposed to teen use, but need facts and strategies for talking with their children about marijuana.
Luckily, there are a few online resources designed to give parents some information about marijuana, its potential for harm, and how to talk with their kids, including:
- Marijuana: Facts Parents Need to Know from the National Institute on Drug Abuse: https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/marijuana-facts-parents-need-to-know/talking-to-your-kids-communicating-risks
- Marijuana Talk Kit for Parents from the Partnership for Drug-Free Kids: http://www.drugfree.org/MJTalkKit/
- Marijuana and Teens from the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry: http://www.aacap.org/AACAP/Families_and_Youth/Facts_for_Families/FFF-Guide/Marijuana-and-Teens-106.aspx
Unfortunately, there are many more online sites promoting the use of marijuana, proclaiming the health and social benefits of marijuana, and informing viewers that marijuana is harmless (For example: http://preventionpluswellness.com/2016/10/advertising-marijuana-use/).
However, there are a couple of tools that parents can easily and quickly use at home to help them provide positive, anti-marijuana messages to their teens.
Messages to not only avoid dangerous marijuana use, but also to practice health promoting and protective habits like doing sports, physical activities, eating healthy, getting adequate sleep, and avoiding stress. These parent tools include:
- Prevention Plus Wellness Pep Talk Lessons for Parents: http://preventionpluswellness.com/ppw-pep-talk-lessons-parents/
- Prevention Plus Wellness Teen Contracts: http://preventionpluswellness.com/prevention-plus-wellness-teen-contracts/
- Parent Prevention Plus Wellness Flyers: http://preventionpluswellness.com/parent-prevention-plus-wellness-flyers/
Read the entire study abstract: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1054139X16301756