Unknown Consequences of Legalizing Marijuana
Here is a PowerPoint presentation from the University of Michigan’s Law School Scholarship Repository on the unknown consequences of legalizing marijuana.
The four topics discussed in this presentation include:
- Marijuana Use in the U.S.
- Health Effects of Marijuana Use: What Do We Know?
- Marijuana Legalization: The Policy Landscape
- Public Health Concerns with Marijuana Legalization
I found the last topic to be most informative and insightful.
The author extrapolates future risks resulting from recreational and medical marijuana legalization, lessons from tobacco and alcohol legalization, and strategies regarding how to proceed based on lessons learned from Colorado’s cannabis legalization.
Regarding how to proceed, let me add that the time is now for states and providences to act to reduce the negative outcomes that will result from the expansion of legalization of marijuana in the US, Canada and globally.
Critically needed are the following:
1) Educational campaigns to address marijuana myths, misconceptions, norms and harm potential that drive increases in youth use, and home, traffic and workplace risks.
2) Awareness training on emerging consumable products, and changes in marijuana potency and modes of use.
3) Educational programs and materials that increase awareness of marketing strategies used by the marijuana industry to influence consumer buying and can increase youth use.
See the PowerPoint slides here: http://repository.law.umich.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1040&context=events
Please comment below and share with others.