InShape Prevention Plus Wellness
InShape Prevention Plus Wellness is an easy to use, single-session prevention with wellness program for professionals who want to promote active, healthy and substance-abuse free lifestyles among young adults. InShape PPW was developed with funding from the National Institutes of Health (NIH), and is listed as an evidence-based program on the federal government’s National Registry of Evidence-based Programs and Practices (NREPP).
InShape PPW targets naturally motivating positive images to increase personal goal setting to improve multiple health habits and positive self-identity. InShape PPW is highly flexible and can be used as a stand-alone program, or as an add-on component to other prevention, health or intervention programs. It can also be repeated over time, providing a sustained intervention.
The InShape PPW Program was designed to help young adults look and feel more active, fit and healthy by having them:
- Identify wellness enhancing behaviors, along with risk habits that interfere with reaching wellness behavior goals and positive self-images;
- Become aware of positive images of young adults engaged in wellness promoting behaviors, and desired images of themselves in the future; and
- Make a commitment to set and monitor multiple goals to increase wellness promoting behaviors, while avoiding wellness harming habits.
The InShape PPW Manual contains the following materials:
- Step-by-step implementation directions and tips;
- Brief self-administered wellness behavior screen;
- Tailored scripts for providing an individual young adult or optional group lesson;
- Set of colorful slides to present during the lesson;
- Goal plan for motivating multiple behavior change;
- Group exercise to increase classroom interaction during the group lesson;
- Feedback survey for participating young adults to evaluate the quality of the lesson;
- Implementer’s chart to assess the quality of the lesson presentation;
- Fidelity checklist to increase implementation reliability;
- Online PPW Program Implementer’s Training; and
- Pre-posttest behavior outcome evaluation survey.
InShape Prevention Plus Wellness program with program manual, downloadable reproducible materials, online training with certification, and telephone and email program support. Certification is required to implement the InShape PPW program. See a sample here.
Published Research Findings
Like SPORT PPW, the InShape Prevention Plus Wellness program was evaluated in a number of research studies funded by NIH. The results of these studies presented below were published in the Annals of Behavioral Medicine, Preventive Medicine, Journal of Adolescent Health, and Journal of American College Health.
InShape PPW Study I
An initial study published in the Annals of Behavioral Medicine evaluated the InShape PPW program with over 300 college students and showed that, compared to a control group, young adults given the brief wellness-based lesson significantly (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18800217):
- reduced frequency and heavy use of alcohol,
- reduced driving after drinking,
- reduced initiation, quantity, and heavy use of marijuana,
- increased hours of sleep,
- increased moderate exercise,
- increased three types of healthy eating, and
- improved social and spiritual health-related quality of life.
An analysis of the outcome data one year after baseline published in Preventive Medicine found that, compared to young adults in a control, those receiving InShape PPW continued to show significant (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0091743509006409):
- reductions in driving after drinking,
- increases in moderate exercise,
- improvements in social health-related quality of life,
- improvements in spiritual health-related quality of life, and
- improvements in recent activity.
InShape PPW Study II
A subsequent study published in the Journal of American College Health evaluating InShape PPW in a computer-based format with 200 college-aged young adults found that, compared to a computer control, students given the InShape PPW wellness-based prevention lesson had significantly (http://eric.ed.gov/?id=EJ952571):
- Less intentions to drink alcohol,
- Less intentions to smoke cigarettes,
- Less intentions to use marijuana,
- More positive alcohol use social norms,
- More positive cigarette smoking social norms, and
- More positive marijuana use social norms.
InShape PPW Study III
In yet another study published in the Journal of Adolescent Health, 155 students attending a university health clinic were randomized to receive either a health behavior contract, or an InShape tailored consultation with or without the contract (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1054139X07002546).
College students receiving the InShape program showed significantly:
- greater body image satisfaction compared to those receiving the contract only.
These findings indicate that the InShape Prevention Plus Wellness program can also improve the body image of young participants.
Together, these published research findings indicate that InShape PPW is effective in preventing and reducing substance use and related risk factors, and increasing health promoting behaviors among young adults. It was also found to enhance various measures of health-related quality of life of college students. Some of the positive outcomes from the brief InShape PPW lesson lasted for up to a year. InShape PPW is an effective wellness-based prevention intervention in a single in-person lesson, and has potential as a self-administered computer-based prevention intervention.
InShape PPW Success Stories
“Clear and detailed information on how this program can be implemented is provided. The materials have been developed so that individuals of varying skill levels can deliver the program. Because implementation directions are clear, training requirements are minimal. Training is available in person and online. The survey used to collect data on student perceptions and behaviors is specific and well designed. The self-evaluation form is concise and easy to understand.”
National Registry of Evidence-based Programs and Practices (NREPP)
“We have been very pleased with the InShape Prevention Plus Wellness program…and we are excited for next year! I feel it is very important to reach this demographic of young adults and there are very few quality programs out there that address this age group.
That is why we are so pleased with InShape Prevention Plus Wellness, along with the fact that your customer service and relationship with the providers are excellent. I never hear from any of the other vendors that we purchase curriculums from, but I regularly communicate with you and it makes everything much smoother. Thank you for that added personal service.”
Kristinia Love, Morgan County Substance Abuse Council (MCSAC), Martinsville, IN
“We are pleased with InShape Prevention Plus Wellness. Our young people love it. Excellent EBP.”
Dr. Elliott Butler, Morris Brown College, Atlanta, GA
Order online using shopping cart buttons above. Pay with credit card or by check. Send checks to:
Prevention Plus Wellness, LLC
3595 Forest Bend Terrace
Jacksonville, FL 32224
Money Back Guarantee
All program manuals returned within 30-days of purchase in new condition will receive a full refund.