NEW: 2023 programs available!
New 2023 SPORT PPW programs come with upgraded PowerPoint slides, scripts, pretest and posttest surveys and more.
One-session evidence-based alcohol and drug prevention program for reaching youth in any setting and situation with effective prevention and wellness content and tools.
Spanish language version for middle school adolescents now available.
Spanish language version for high school adolescents available soon, order now!
SPORT Prevention Plus Wellness (PPW) is a quick and easy to use positive youth development program for prevention and health professionals and parents who want to prevent substance use and promote healthy lifestyle behaviors and positive identities of youth.
SPORT PPW has undergone rigorous research evaluating its effectiveness for preventing youth substance use and increasing healthy habits. It is listed as an evidence-based program on the National Registry of Evidence-based Programs and Practices (NREPP), Blueprints for Healthy Youth Development and other evidence-based registries. Furthermore, it utilizes an evidence-based practices screening and brief intervention format recognized by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA).
SPORT PPW is the only single-session substance use prevention program designed to increase health-enhancing behaviors including physical activity, sports participation, healthy eating, getting adequate sleep, and practicing stress control. It can be implemented in any setting including school, community, health care, sports, recreation, juvenile justice, home, and others.
SPORT PPW is founded on the Behavior-Image Model (BIM), a positive youth development-related framework that targets naturally motivating positive peer and desired future images to increase motivation for change and multiple health behavior goal setting to increase self-regulation skills and self-efficacy of participants.
SPORT PPW is highly flexible and can be used as a stand-alone intervention, or as an add-on component to other prevention, health, sports, fitness, recreation, education, intervention, or treatment programs. While it was created as a universal prevention intervention, organizations across the US and abroad use it as a selective and indicated prevention program for high-risk populations.
The SPORT PPW program was designed to help youth look and feel more active, fit, and healthy using a three-step brief intervention process of:
- Screening youth for their current health habits to increase awareness of their substance use and healthy behaviors;
- Providing feedback cueing positive future images and the benefits of engaging in the healthy behaviors and how substance use harms them, to increase motivation for change; and
- Presenting a goal plan and contract to help youth set and monitor goals to avoid substance use and increase protective wellness behaviors increasing self-control skills and self-efficacy.
Your SPORT PPW program comes with a manual and a digital download of all reproducible materials needed to implement your program to countless participants.
The SPORT PPW program includes:
- Step-by-step implementation directions;
- A brief self-administered youth health and fitness behavior screening survey;
- Scripts for easy presentation of both an individual or group lesson that presents positive image content linking healthy and substance use behaviors;
- A set of colorful slides with illustrations of youth modeling healthy habits;
- A goal plan/contract for motivating and initiating multiple behavior change;
- Online or paper youth pretest and posttest surveys to evaluate immediate program effectiveness;
- An online or paper Instructor’s Survey to assess the quality of the lesson presentation;
- An online or paper Fidelity Checklist to increase implementation reliability;
- A Youth Online PPW Program Goal Plan to extend the program and follow-up with participating youth;
- An optional set of four weekly parent flyers with introductory letter to be mailed, handed out, emailed or posted online to enhance the youth lesson;
- Online resources to support program implementation and evaluation;
- Phone and email program support; and
- Separate online or onsite certified training workshops to learn how to implement the SPORT PPW program, or train others to implement it, with fidelity and maximum effectiveness.
SPORT PPW takes less than 50 minutes to implement and is available in three versions for: 1) High school adolescents ages 14-18, 2) Middle school adolescents ages 10-14, and 3) Elementary school children ages 8-10.
We know you will find SPORT PPW an easy, enjoyable, and effective way to promote the mental and physical health of your youth.
Request a sample to preview: https://preventionpluswellness.com/pages/contact-us
Order this program with online self-paced training for implementers for just $249: https://preventionpluswellness.com/products/online-self-paced-ppw-program-implementer-training
See how SPORT PPW meets National Health Education Standards: https://preventionpluswellness.com/pages/prevention-plus-wellness-programs-national-health-education-standards