SPORT Prevention Plus Wellness Collection
SPORT Prevention Plus Wellness (PPW) is the nation’s only easy to use, single-session substance use prevention program designed to increase fitness, health and performance-enhancing behaviors like physical activity, sports participation, healthy eating, getting adequate sleep, and practicing stress control for youth.
SPORT stands for: Substance use Prevention Optimizing Robust Teens (SPORT).
SPORT PPW was evaluated with funding from the National Institutes of Health (NIH), and is listed as an evidence-based program on the federal government’s National Registry of Evidence-based Programs and Practices (NREPP).
SPORT PPW targets naturally motivating positive images to increase personal goal setting to improve multiple health habits and positive self-identity.
SPORT PPW is highly flexible and can be used as a stand-alone program, or as an add-on component to other prevention, health, sports, fitness, recreation, education or intervention programs.
It also includes optional parent materials and can be repeated over time, providing a sustained intervention.
The SPORT PPW Program was designed to help youth look and feel more active, fit and healthy by having them:
- Identify wellness enhancing behaviors, along with drug use habits that interfere with reaching wellness behavior goals and positive self-images;
- Become aware of positive images of youth engaged in wellness promoting behaviors, and desired images of themselves in the future; and
- Make a commitment to set and monitor multiple goals to increase wellness promoting behaviors, while avoiding wellness harming substance use.
The SPORT PPW Manual contains the following materials:
- Step-by-step implementation directions and tips;
- Brief self-administered youth health and fitness behavior screen;
- Tailored scripts for providing an individual youth or optional group lesson;
- Set of colorful slides to present during the lesson;
- Goal plan for motivating multiple behavior change;
- Group exercise to increase classroom interaction during the group lesson;
- Feedback survey for participating youth to evaluate the quality of the lesson;
- Implementer’s chart to assess the quality of the lesson presentation;
- Fidelity checklist to increase implementation reliability;
- Pre-posttest behavior outcome evaluation survey;
- Letter introducing the optional follow-up parent flyers in English and Spanish;
- Set of four parent flyers in English and Spanish;
- Phone protocol to ensure reception and use of parent flyers;
- Optional follow-up youth and parent web resources addressing increasing physical activity, eating healthy, getting adequate sleep, managing stress, and avoiding alcohol, tobacco, marijuana and other drug use;
- Digital download of reproducible and customizable materials and PowerPoint slides;
- Phone and email program support; and
- Self-paced e-learning training.
SPORT PPW is available in three versions for: 1) Children (age’s 7-10/3rd-5th grade school), 2) Young adolescents (age’s 10-14/middle school), and 3) Older adolescents (age’s 14-18/high school).
Online and Onsite Certified Program Implementer's Workshops are available. Onsite Training of Trainer's (TOTs) Workshops are also available. Learn more about how you can host a PPW Training Workshop: