Here’s a comprehensive overview of the substance use/misuse prevention practice and science field from the Director of the Center for Substance Abuse Prevention, Dr. Christopher Jones, CAPT, for Youth Substance Use Prevention Month and Substance Misuse Prevention Month.
A couple of highlights we’d like to share with our Prevention Plus Wellness (PPW) partners include:
- The substance use landscape is evolving regarding opioids, stimulants, alcohol, marijuana, vaping e-cigarettes, and other substances.
- Most youth (ages 12-17 years) never used alcohol, nicotine, marijuana, or other illicit drugs in their lifetimes.
- Prevention also includes preventing and intervening adult misuse.
- Prevention must focus on increasing protective factors and reducing risk factors.
- Protective factors include, for example, participating in healthy activities (and behaviors) and connections like sports and recreation.
- To optimize the impact of prevention we need to expand evidence-based programs in communities and schools.
Participate in prevention today by implementing an evidence-based substance use Prevention Plus Wellness (PPW) program for youth, young adults, or adults, a Parent PPW program, or a PPW Media Campaign: https://preventionpluswellness.com
Read the entire announcement:https://www.samhsa.gov/blog/partners-in-prevention?utm_source=SAMHSA&utm_campaign=f7d0553399-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2023_09_21_02_23&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_-f7d0553399-%5BLIST_EMAIL_ID%5D