SPORT (Alcohol/Drug) Prevention Plus Wellness
One-session evidence-based alcohol and drug prevention program for reaching youth in any setting and situation with effective prevention and wellness content and tools.
Spanish language version for middle school adolescents now available.
Welcome to SPORT Prevention Plus Wellness (PPW)! SPORT PPW is a quick and easy to use screening and brief intervention for prevention and health professionals and parents who want to prevent substance use and promote protective wellness behaviors and positive identities among youth.
SPORT PPW has undergone rigorous research evaluating its effectiveness for preventing youth substance use and increasing healthy habits. It is listed as an evidence-based program on the National Registry of Evidence-based Programs and Practices (NREPP), Blueprints for Healthy Youth Development and other evidence-based registries. Furthermore, it utilizes an evidence-based practices screening and brief intervention format recognized by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA).
SPORT PPW is the only single-session substance use prevention program designed to increase wellness-enhancing behaviors including physical activity, sports participation, healthy eating, getting adequate sleep, and practicing stress control. It can be implemented in any setting including school, community, health care, sports, recreation, juvenile justice, home and more.
SPORT PPW is founded on the Behavior-Image Model, a marketing-related framework that targets naturally motivating positive peer and desired future images to increase motivation for change and multiple health behavior goal setting which in turn increases self-regulation skills of participants.
SPORT PPW is highly flexible and can be used as a stand-alone intervention, or as an add-on component to other prevention, health, sports, fitness, recreation, education, intervention or treatment programs. While it was created as a universal prevention intervention, many organizations use it as a selective and indicated prevention program for high-risk populations.
The SPORT PPW program was designed to help youth look and feel more active, fit and healthy using a three-step process of:
- Screening youth for their current health habits to increase awareness of their substance use and wellness behaviors;
- Providing feedback on those health habits and positive image messages cuing desired future images of youth and increasing motivation for change; and
- Presenting a goal plan and contract to have youth set and monitor goals to avoid substance use and increase protective wellness behaviors increasing self-control skills.
Your SPORT PPW program comes with a hard copy manual and a digital download of all reproducible materials needed to implement your program to countless participants. The SPORT PPW program includes:
- Step-by-step implementation directions;
- A brief self-administered youth health and fitness behavior screening survey;
- Scripts for providing an individual one-on-one or group feedback lesson that presents positive image content linking wellness and substance use behaviors;
- A set of colorful slides with illustrations of youth modeling wellness habits;
- A goal plan/contract for motivating multiple behavior change;
- Online and paper youth pretest and posttest surveys to evaluate program implementation fidelity and effectiveness;
- An online and paper Instructor’s Survey to assess the quality of the lesson presentation;
- An online and paper Fidelity Checklist to increase implementation reliability;
- A letter introducing optional follow-up parent flyers;
- A set of four weekly parent flyers;
- A phone protocol to ensure reception and use of parent flyers;
- A Youth Online PPW Program Follow-up Goal Plan;
- Online resources to support program implementation and evaluation;
- Phone and email program support; and
- Separate online and onsite certified training workshops to learn how to provide the SPORT PPW program, or train others to implement it, with fidelity and maximum effectiveness.
SPORT PPW takes less than 50 minutes to implement and is available in three versions for: 1) High school adolescents ages 14-18, 2) Middle school adolescents ages 10-14, and 3) Elementary school children ages 8-10.
We know you will find SPORT PPW an easy, enjoyable and effective way to promote fit, healthy and substance use-free lifestyles among your youth.
Request a sample to preview: https://preventionpluswellness.com/pages/contact-us
Order this program with online self-paced training for implementers for just $249: https://preventionpluswellness.com/products/online-self-paced-ppw-program-implementer-training
See how SPORT PPW meets National Health Education Standards: https://preventionpluswellness.com/pages/prevention-plus-wellness-programs-national-health-education-standards