Prevention Plus Wellness, LLC
Welcome to SPORT Prevention Plus Wellness (PPW) Alcohol & Cannabis (AC)! SPORT PPW AC is a quick and easy to use positive youth development program for prevention and health professionals and parents who want to prevent substance use and promote healthy lifestyle behaviors and positive identities of youth.
SPORT PPW AC is an adaptation of the rigorously evaluated, evidence-based SPORT PPW program with added cannabis prevention messages along with the alcohol prevention content. Like other Prevention Plus Wellness programs, SPORT PPW AC is designed to increase healthy lifestyle habits of youth and uses an evidence-based practices screening and brief intervention format recognized by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA).
SPORT PPW AC is the only single-session substance use prevention program designed to increase health-enhancing behaviors including physical activity, sports participation, healthy eating, getting adequate sleep, and practicing stress control. It can be implemented in any setting including school, community, health care, sports, recreation, juvenile justice, home, and others.
SPORT PPW AC is founded on the Behavior-Image Model (BIM), a positive youth development-related framework that targets naturally motivating positive peer and desired future images to increase motivation for change and multiple health behavior goal setting to increase self-regulation skills and self-efficacy of participants.
SPORT PPW AC is highly flexible and can be used as a stand-alone intervention, or as an add-on component to other prevention, health, sports, fitness, recreation, education, intervention, or treatment programs. While it was created as a universal prevention intervention, organizations across the US and abroad use it as a selective and indicated prevention program for high-risk populations.
The SPORT PPW AC program was designed to help youth look and feel more active, fit, and healthy using a three-step brief intervention process of:
- Screening youth for their current health habits to increase awareness of their substance use and healthy behaviors;
- Providing feedback cueing positive future images and the benefits of engaging in the healthy behaviors and how substance use harms them, to increase motivation for change; and
- Presenting a goal plan and contract to help youth set and monitor goals to avoid substance use and increase protective wellness behaviors increasing self-control skills and self-efficacy.
Your SPORT PPW AC program comes with a manual and a digital download of all reproducible materials needed to implement your program to countless participants.
The SPORT PPW AC program includes:
- Step-by-step implementation directions;
- A brief self-administered youth health and fitness behavior screening survey;
- Scripts for easy presentation of both an individual or group lesson that presents positive image content linking healthy and substance use behaviors;
- A set of colorful slides with illustrations of youth modeling healthy habits;
- A goal plan/contract for motivating and initiating multiple behavior change;
- Online or paper youth pretest and posttest surveys to evaluate immediate program effectiveness;
- An online or paper Instructor’s Survey to assess the quality of the lesson presentation;
- An online or paper Fidelity Checklist to increase implementation reliability;
- A Youth Online PPW Program Goal Plan to extend the program and follow-up with participating youth;
- Online resources to support program implementation and evaluation;
- Phone and email program support; and
- Separate online or onsite certified training workshops to learn how to implement the SPORT PPW AC program, or train others to implement it, with fidelity and maximum effectiveness.
SPORT PPW AC takes less than 50 minutes to implement and is available in three versions for: 1) High school adolescents ages 14-18, 2) Middle school adolescents ages 10-14, and 3) Elementary school children ages 8-10.
We know you'll find the SPORT Prevention Plus Wellness Alcohol & Cannabis program an easy, enjoyable, and effective way to promote the mental and physical health of your youth.
Order this program with online self-paced training for implementers.
See how SPORT PPW meets National Health Education Standards.
Excellent response time and feedback when sending inquiries. Thank you.
Our agency has been using SPORT for many years. The programs are effective and easy to use. They underscores the value of brief interventions and the impact they can have on substance use prevention. The Alcohol and Cannabis SPORT PPW addresses the two most common substances used by youth today. With the legalization of recreational marijuana increasing across states, and the decrease in the perception of harm about marijuana use, youth serving organization and schools can benefit from using this program.