SPORT 2 Prevention Plus Wellness
SPORT 2 Prevention Plus Wellness is an easy to use, multi-session wellness-based prevention program for professionals who want to promote active, healthy and substance-abuse free lifestyles among youth. SPORT 2 was developed to extend the original SPORT Prevention Plus Wellness single-session program by providing six additional lessons. SPORT 2 was adapted from the evidence-based SPORT program found on the federal government’s National Registry of Evidence-based Programs and Practices (NREPP).
SPORT 2 is a strengths-based program designed to increase health enhancing behaviors, including:
- Physical activity, sports and exercise,
- Healthy nutrition and weight, and
- Stress control, while avoiding alcohol, tobacco, marijuana and other drug use.
SPORT 2 targets naturally motivating wellness images to increase personal goal setting to improve multiple health habits and positive self-identity. SPORT 2 is highly flexible and can be used as a stand-alone program, or as an add-on component to other prevention, health or intervention programs.
The SPORT 2 Teacher’s Manual contains six lessons in both one-on-one coaching and group formats, including:
- Step-by-step implementation directions;
- Brief self-administered youth health and fitness behavior screens;
- Tailored coaching and lesson scripts;
- Colorful slides to view during the lessons;
- Goal plans for motivating multiple behavior change;
- Implementer’s coaching/lesson chart to assess the quality of each of their lessons;
- Feedback form for participating youth to evaluate each lesson;
- A behavior outcome program evaluation survey; and
- Downloadable reproducible program materials.
SPORT 2 is available in young adolescents (ages 10-14 years/middle school) and older adolescents (ages 14-18 years/high school) versions.
The first three lessons address physical fitness. These sessions are designed to increase moderate intensity aerobic, vigorous intensity aerobic, and muscle strengthening physical activity. The next two lessons address healthy eating and weight. These sessions are designed to increase consumption of fruits and vegetables, whole grain carbohydrates, and low fat protein, along with monitoring calorie intake and eating regular healthy breakfasts.
The last lesson addresses controlling stress. This session is designed to increase skills and strategies to reduce and manage stress. In addition, each lesson targets the critical need to avoid risk behaviors, particularly alcohol, tobacco, marijuana and other drug use, which can interfere with achieving goals for a healthier and fitter lifestyle and more positive image.
Each SPORT 2 lesson can be implemented together as one program, or as any combination of one or more of the six lessons. Each of the six SPORT 2 lessons can be implemented on a weekly or monthly basis, with each session lasting under an hour.
Online and Onsite Certified Program Implementer's Workshops are available. Onsite Training of Trainer's (TOTs) Workshops are also available. Learn more about how you can host a PPW Training Workshop: