SPORT Marijuana Awareness
SPORT Marijuana Awareness is an easy to use program for professionals who want to prevent or reduce marijuana use by promoting awareness of marijuana risks and the fitness, health and positive self-image of youth. SPORT Marijuana Awareness is an evidence-informed intervention founded on the SPORT Prevention Plus Wellness program, which is listed in the federal government’s National Registry of Evidence-based Programs and Practices (NREPP).
SPORT Marijuana Awareness is a practical, single-lesson program that illustrates how marijuana is harmful to those things important to youth, and corrects common myths, misconceptions and norms about its use. And it also aims to increase protective wellness behaviors like physical activity, sports participation, healthy eating, getting adequate sleep, and practicing stress control that enhances future self-image.
SPORT Marijuana Awareness targets naturally motivating positive behaviors and images to increase personal goal setting to improve multiple health habits and positive self-identity. SPORT Marijuana Awareness is highly flexible and can be used as a stand-alone program, or as an add-on component to other prevention, health or intervention programs. It can also be repeated over time, providing a sustained intervention.
The SPORT Marijuana Awareness Program was designed to help youth look and feel more active, fit and healthy by having them:
- Identify wellness enhancing behaviors, along with marijuana risks that interfere with reaching wellness behavior goals and positive self-images;
- Become aware of positive images of youth engaged in wellness promoting behaviors, and desired images of themselves in the future; and
- Make a commitment to set and monitor multiple goals to increase wellness promoting behaviors, while avoiding wellness harming marijuana use.
Your SPORT Marijuana Awareness Manual contains the following materials:
- Step-by-step implementation directions and tips;
- Brief self-administered youth health and fitness behavior screen;
- Tailored scripts for providing an individual youth or optional group lesson;
- Set of colorful slides to present during the lesson;
- Goal plan for motivating multiple behavior change;
- Group exercise to increase classroom interaction during the group lesson;
- Feedback survey for participating youth to evaluate the quality of the lesson;
- Implementer’s chart to assess the quality of the lesson presentation;
- Fidelity checklist to increase implementation reliability; and
- Lists of common marijuana myths and helpful evidence-informed resources to learn more about marijuana misconceptions and risks posed to youth.
Online and Onsite Certified Program Implementer's Workshops are available. Onsite Training of Trainer's (TOTs) Workshops are also available. Learn more about how you can host a PPW Training Workshop: