SPORT Prevention Plus Wellness
SPORT Prevention Plus Wellness (PPW) is the nation’s only easy to use, single-session substance use prevention program designed to increase fitness, health and performance-enhancing behaviors like physical activity, sports participation, healthy eating, getting adequate sleep, and practicing stress control for youth.
SPORT PPW was evaluated with funding from the National Institutes of Health (NIH), and is listed as an evidence-based program on the federal government’s National Registry of Evidence-based Programs and Practices (NREPP).
SPORT PPW targets naturally motivating positive images to increase personal goal setting to improve multiple health habits and positive self-identity.
SPORT PPW is highly flexible and can be used as a stand-alone program, or as an add-on component to other prevention, health, sports, fitness, recreation, education or intervention programs.
It also includes optional parent materials and can be repeated over time, providing a sustained intervention.
The SPORT PPW Program was designed to help youth look and feel more active, fit and healthy by having them:
- Identify wellness enhancing behaviors, along with drug use habits that interfere with reaching wellness behavior goals and positive self-images;
- Become aware of positive images of youth engaged in wellness promoting behaviors, and desired images of themselves in the future; and
- Make a commitment to set and monitor multiple goals to increase wellness promoting behaviors, while avoiding wellness harming substance use.
The SPORT PPW Manual contains the following materials:
- Step-by-step implementation directions and tips;
- Brief self-administered youth health and fitness behavior screen;
- Tailored scripts for providing an individual youth or optional group lesson;
- Set of colorful slides to present during the lesson;
- Goal plan for motivating multiple behavior change;
- Group exercise to increase classroom interaction during the group lesson;
- Feedback survey for participating youth to evaluate the quality of the lesson;
- Implementer’s chart to assess the quality of the lesson presentation;
- Fidelity checklist to increase implementation reliability;
- Pre-posttest behavior outcome evaluation survey;
- Letter introducing the optional follow-up parent flyers in English and Spanish;
- Set of four parent flyers in English and Spanish;
- Phone protocol to ensure reception and use of parent flyers;
- Optional follow-up youth and parent web resources addressing increasing physical activity, eating healthy, getting adequate sleep, managing stress, and avoiding alcohol, tobacco, marijuana and other drug use;
- Digital download of reproducible and customizable materials and PowerPoint slides;
- Phone and email program support; and
- Self-paced e-learning training.
SPORT PPW is available in three versions for: 1) Children (age’s 7-10/3rd-5th grade school), 2) Young adolescents (age’s 10-14/middle school), and 3) Older adolescents (age’s 14-18/high school).
Onsite Certified Program Implementer's Workshops are available at no additional cost for groups of adults and youth leaders purchasing programs. Training of Trainer's (TOTs) Workshops are also available. Learn more about how you can host a PPW Training Workshop: